More than 13% of the Swedish (.SE) E‑commerce sector is suspected of being fake.
.SE Zone - Analysis of Domains Suspected of Infringing on Intellectual Property
In 2016/2017, I had the pleasure of collaborating with EUIPO (European Union Intellectual Property Office) in the analysis of four EU countries: Sweden, Germany, United Kingdom, and Spain.
More than a year later, I became interested in repeating the same analysis for Sweden.
This analysis is not exactly the same, as systems are constantly developed and improved.
This analysis is based on the ESDA Version 4.3.4 (EIT Scam Detection Algorithm) built by EIT DK ApS / Henrik Bjørner
Sweden - 2016 (EUIPO):
Data collected in the period between 8 December 2016 and 10 December 2016
- Total number of detected active domain names: 1,259,990
- Total number of detected e-shops: 33,212
- Total number of detected e-shops suspected of infringing on Intellectual Property: 3,161 (9.5%)
Source and credit: EUIPO - Research on Online Business Models Infringing Intellectual Property Rights - Phase 2
Sweden - 2018 (EIT DK ApS / Cybercrime.eu):
Data collected in the period between 31 March 2018 and 8 April 2018.
- Total number of detected active domain names: 1,701,985
- Total number of detected e-shops: 34,137
- Total number of detected e-shops suspected of infringing on Intellectual Property: 5,349 (13.55%)
Highlights - 2018 - 5,349 Domains Suspected of Infringing on Intellectual Property
- More than 55% of the suspected e-shops have shoes as their main category.
- The second most popular category is clothing with 37.78%.
- 33.22% of the suspected e-shops lists between 1001 and 5000 products for sale.
- 4,914 e-shops accept payment in USD and 4,621 in SEK (Swedish kronor).
- Most of the domains (a total of 3,970) were acquired in 2017.
- More than 87% of the domains have had a previous owner.
- 93.94% of the suspected e-shops have only a contact form for communication.
- More than 95% of the domains use only one WhoIs Owner ID per domain.
- 49.28% of the domains primarily target female customers.
- 25.20% of the domains primarily target male customers.
- 63 of the e-shops target non-Swedish consumers.
- 1,426 of the e-shops are hosted in United States, 996 in Turkey.
- 56 different hosting providers are used.
- The first domain was created in May 2013.
- The newest domain was created in March 2018.
- 2,694 different designer brands are found at all the e-shops.
- One designer brand is found at 1,774 domains.
The analyses are publicly accessible at: https://cybercrime.eu/published-analyzes/